Want to Improve Gender Equality at Work? Help Men Take Parental Leave
This article is based on MERCER’s 2018 “Global Parental Leave Report” and provides an overview of some of its most relevant findings. Additionally, it provides five key areas for employers to consider with regards to men, parental leave, and gender equality.
- Review parental leave policies to either match paternity and maternity leave policy or implement a “non-gender-biased” parental leave policy.
- Gain leadership support by increasing awareness of paternal leave and its benefits through data.
- Build a corporate culture that supports paternal leave in all levels of the organization. This may require education, establishing resource groups, reviewing other HR and departmental policies.
- Educate and support managers on how to manage leave as their direct relationship with employees is essential.
- Improve social support for leave to reduce stigma that may impact men by communicating the organization’s efforts and actively confronting gender and social stigma.
To learn more, click here.