Unlocking Opportunities for Women and Business – Women and Community Engagement
This resource is a toolkit of actions and strategies for oil, gas, and mining (OGM) companiesto reach their gender goals. Even though the toolkit is focused on the OGM sector, the actions and recommendations provided in the resource can be easily translated to other industries.
This toolkit provides steps to ensure that companies incorporate gender equality as they develop community engagement strategies. It provides recommendations in three sections:
- Assess and Prepare: This section offers tools to help community engagement teams review the company’s community engagement activities to assess the extent to which gender is an explicit theme.
- Address: This section offers tools to help integrate gender sensitivity into the initiatives based on the assessment information collected.
- Monitor and Sustain: This section offers guidance on setting benchmarks, measuring impact, and improving practices to address potential concerns and avoid problems altogether.
Some examples of initiatives and programs to support women and girls:
- Gender-based violence education and awareness
- Capacity building and financial support for local and regional women’s organizations
Some examples of initiatives to encourage women’s economic empowerment:
- Promotion of women’s entrepreneurship (e.g. start-up grants, microfinance, access to local markets or supply chains)
- Scholarships and apprenticeship programs for women and girls (general in nature or specific to the sector of the company)
To learn more, click here.