The Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) Base Code
Ethical Trading Initiative
The Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) is a leading alliance of companies, trade unions, and NGOs that encourages businesses to have responsible supply chains and participate in ethical trade. The ETI Base Code is based on the conventions of the International Labour Organization and is viewed as a global reference standard that can also be used as a benchmark to develop ethical trade action plans and conduct social audits. By joining ETI, a business commits to the ETI Base Code and the principles of implementation, which guides the company to effectively approach ethical trade. ETI members also have access to a variety of training resources, expert advice, networking, and peer support.
The ETI Base Code’s categories are:
- Employment is freely chosen
- Freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining are respected
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour shall not be used
- Living wages are paid
- Working hours are not excessive
- No discrimination is practiced
- Regular employment is provided
- No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed
For more information, click here.