Tackling Childcare - A Guide for Employer-Supported Childcare
International Finance Corporation
This report is based on practical insights from 10 companies and provides detailed information on the business case for employer-supported childcare, and how to design and implement a childcare strategy.Tackling Childcare is an initiative from IFC to better understand employer-supported childcare and to assess private and public sector dimensions to address childcare.
Designing a childcare strategy:
- Assess employees’ needs for childcare (i.e. availability, affordability, accessibility, quality)
- Review options for meeting employees’ needs including:
- Regular and/or intermittent childcare needs options: on-site childcare, cooperation with other companies, bring-your-child-to-work options
- Options for facilitating parental caregiving: maternity, paternity, and parental leave; breastfeeding; flexible work arrangements; information and referral services
Finalizing and implementing a childcare strategy includes:
- Review business goals and resources that support childcare strategy
- Understand the regulations and partnering possibilities
- Communicate widely and seek input
- Pilot programs
- Set baseline, establish metrics, assess program impact and success
- Integrate childcare strategy to broader corporate objectives (i.e. gender equality strategy)
To obtain more detail on this report, click here.