Manager Flexibility Toolkit – How to Create Successful, Engaged and Productive Flexible Teams
Workplace Gender Equality Agency (Australia)
The aim of this toolkit is to provide information and guidance on how to successfully implement flexible working arrangements to maximize the opportunities and benefits that flexibility brings. The toolkit provides an overview of what workplace flexibility entails, benefits of workplace flexibility (e.g. productivity, effectiveness, job satisfaction), description of types of flexibility (e.g. flexible hours of work, compressed working weeks, telecommuting), and in-depth information on key flexibility elements to consider for managers.
The following are examples of good practices for managers found in this toolkit:
- Leadership: Leaders should consider a flexible work arrangement themselves. This creates a role model within the organization demonstrating successful flexible work.
- Team culture: Adjust communication tools and platforms to suit flexible work arrangements and consider communication training to help employees improve communication effectiveness.
- Active learning: Establish a trial period to test a flexibility arrangement that works for the organization and the individual team.
- Resource planning: Allocate tasks that suit flexible work options and use a central project planning tool to manage team’s workload and project advancement.
- Information flow: Establish communication patterns such as daily project updates, weekly deadlines, set team meetings, etc.
- Results-based performance management: Discuss performance as part of reviewing flexibility arrangements to make sure transparency, accountability, and autonomy are understood.
- Self-management: Become aware of flexibility bias to learn and adapt to these arrangements.
- Stakeholder management: Discuss and resolve issues around flexibility that can impact other internal stakeholders.
- Legal risk management: Become aware about legal obligations related to flexible work.
- Change management: Each team may go through an adjusting period to flexibility work.
To learn more, click here.