A Guide to Interpreting Ontario's Pay Equity Act
Ontario Pay Equity Commission
This guide gives an overview of the minimum requirements of the Pay Equity Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P7 (as amended), as interpreted by the Pay Equity Office.The guide alsoreflects tribunal and court decisions on various sections of the Act.
The following are guiding principles for interpreting the Pay Equity Act:
- Pay equity is both a fundamental human right and a regulatory labour standard
- Pay equity in Ontario is a self-managed process
- Pay equity is focused on gender neutrality
- Pay equity allows for considerable flexibility on certain provisions
- Pay equity and collective bargaining. Employers and unions are regularly involved in negotiations around compensation
Other sections of this guide include:
- Summary of requirements
- Compliance deadlines
- Requirements for achieving pay equity
- Enforcement, complaints, and monitoring for compliance
To read the full guide, click here.